Monday, September 20, 2010

‎"We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces and regret weighs tons." ~Twelve Pillars


I have been doing a ton of soul searching over the last two weeks.  I vacillate between wanting to understand why I fight discipline and wanting to just forget about the why and get on with it.  The conclusion? They both are important.  I need to know the why so that when the journey feels impossible I can be prepared and understand what I'm facing.  I need to just get on with it because the procrastinating side of myself could stay in the why forever.


So, here is what discipline means to me:
- Delayed gratification
- Choosing what is best for me in the long run, while sacrificing what feels good in the moment
- Becoming exactly who God has truly created me to be
- Knowing my priorities and actually living them out


Here's the bottom line truth.  I can have good intentions all day long about who I intend to be, what I intend to do and how I intend to live my life.  But, until I begin to turn those intentions into actions they mean NOTHING.  I don't want to be the person who always intended to have a good relationship with my family but time got away from me.  I don't want to be the person who intended to be organized and on top of life but always said I'd start tomorrow.  I don't want to be the person who ends up missing out on the BEST life has to offer because something just GOOD or OK came along today.


So, what does this all mean???  It means I'm focusing more on actions and less on intentions.  It means that I am breaking free of settling for GOOD and reaching for God's best.  It means all the little choices I make everyday add up to the big picture of my life.  I know what that picture could like...now I'm going to make my actions line up with my intentions and actually live the picture out!

1 comment:

  1. Just going on catching up with several friends blogs. Your not alone girl. Going through such a similar journey. It was nice hearing your thoughts and it was an encouragement to me. Pressing on!

    ReplyDelete