Sunday, October 17, 2010

I'm learning a lot about discipline.

Sadly, I'm learning a lot about what not to do.

I'm learning that discipline is about rest as well as work.  God rested on the 7th day for a reason.  I need to spend time resting every week as well.

This weekend I crashed!  The last two weeks have been a crazy mess of commitments, work and doing more than I should.

This weekend was quiet, quiet from start to finish.  I could literally feel my soul soaking up the slowness...that's a GOOD thing.

I have started writing out what a disciplined life would look like, schedule-wise, for me.  I'm asking myself questions like...How do I really live out my priorities...the things God has called me to do?  What good things do I need to say no to so that I can pour my time, attention and focus into the best things.  I will post it all when I'm done.  I'm working through it all slowly so that it's not just about a schedule, it's about making my life work in a way that I am living out God's best for me.

I believe that discipline is about prayer.  It's about focus.  It's about the Best vs Good.

What are your thoughts?  What does discipline mean to you?  How do you live it out in your life?

1 comment:

  1. I like how you said "the best vs good." So many times, there are good things that scream for my attention. Then, there are other times when the best screams for it. And, sometimes, I hear the good better than I hear the best. The good isn't always the best, and I want to know the difference. At times, I feel guilty for not doing the good, because it's good, but I shouldn't feel bad when, if I do the good, I don't have time for the best. If I've completely lost you, don't worry, I think I lost myself, too!

    ReplyDelete